Mining for raw materials used in consumer products like computers, smartphones and cars is frequently connected to conflicts and serious human rights violations. At our conference solutions and challenges of responsible mining and the role of industry schemes were discussed.
The presentations are to be found here.
| 16:00 Registration
16:30 Welcome and Introduction
17:00 Conflicts and human rights violations in mining and trade with raw materials
- Dr. Claude Kabemba, Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW): Human Rights Risks in Artisanal Mining
- Susanne Fries, Misereor: Human Rights Risks in Industrial Mining
- Axel Müller, FAKT: Progress and Challenges of Certification Initiatives in the DR Congo
18:30 Government and Industry Approaches to Strengthen Responsible Mining
- Dr. Christian Hagelüken, Umicore Requirements from the perspective of a battery materials manufacturer
- Sophia Pickles, Global Witness: The EU-Regulation on Responsible Sourcing and the Role of Industry Schemes
19:15 Panel Discussion: Accountability and options for action to strengthen responsible mining in global supply chains
with Dr. Thomas Gäckle, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy; Dr. Claude Kabemba, Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW); Julian Lageard, Intel; and Sophia Pickles, Global Witness
Please find further details in the (German) program below.